Welsh Distillery Penderyn Announces US-Exclusive Whisky
Skip to main content

Welsh Distillery Announces Series of Small Batch Whiskies to Be Released Exclusively to the US

Penderyn

Penderyn USA Limited Release #1.

Penderyn Distillery, located in the Brecon Beacons National Park in Wales, has announced the release of Penderyn USA Limited Release #1 whisky.

The small-batch release comprises 1,210 bottles of a combination of single malt from an ex-bourbon barrel, an STR cask (Shave, Toast, Re-Char) and two sweet Portuguese wine casks. This limited release is the first in a series of small batches that will be released in the United States.

Penderyn’s Master Blender, Aista Phillips, has crafted a small batch of whisky by marrying a selection of unconventional casks. This batch is distinct from anything else in Penderyn’s range of premium single-malt Welsh whiskies, according to Giancarlo Bianchi, Penderyn’s commercial director.

The batch includes 25% STR casks, a technique that was developed by the late Dr. Jim Swan. STR casks add a distinct touch to the flavor of the whisky. Swan was an expert distiller who was instrumental in creating Penderyn’s house style.

Penderyn USA Limited Release #1 is a 75% double-distilled in a traditional “lantern” still with the remaining 25% distilled in Penderyn’s signature single copper-pot Faraday Still. The limited-edition whisky is released in the U.S. as Penderyn gears up to celebrate the one-year anniversary of its new flagship distillery, which opened to the public on June 1, 2021, in Llandudno, North Wales.

The limited 1,210 bottlings have a recommended retail price of $110 and will be sold in stores in CA, MA, NY/NJ, NE, IL, KS, AZ, NV, TX, DC/DE/MD, WA, TN, OR, and MN.

Penderyn USA Limited Release Tasting Notes, From the Brand

The marriage of sweet Portuguese wine and ex-Bourbon casks results in a nose of apples and pears with a creaminess that incorporates caramel and raisins. The mouthfeel is initially sweet with caramel and toffee notes before evolving into a more savory flavor profile with hints of oak and spice. The finish is long and lingering, with a creamy mouthfeel and a balanced sweetness that lingers on the tongue.

Here at Whiskey Raiders, we do more than write about current events in whiskey. We are the only media property reviewing whiskeys and aggregating the scores and reviews of other significant voices in the whiskey world in one place. If you’re interested in getting a shot of whiskey in your morning email, sign up for our Daily Dram Gram!

Filed Under:

Follow Whiskey Raiders: